Saturday 7 April 2012

Introducing Huey

Well, after a lot of soul searching, a lot of researching, I finally decided to purchase the Canon 800mm lens. The main reason was that I was tired of never having enough reach with my 400mm. For me, 500 wasn't a big leap, even though it is a great lens. I wanted more reach, and did not want to continuously shoot with a convertor on. The 600 was the largest and heaviest lens, funnily enough, so then the 800 came onto the radar. While still an extremely large lens, I am very happy with my purchase. (thankyou to Photocontinental at Mt. Gravatt for giving me a good deal). I have used the 1.4 convertor with it, some birds are just so small, and won't let you near. So being such a big lens, and my baby, I named it Huey, after the cartoon duck character.
He is taking some getting used to, the dof is very shallow, he is heavy, and I can only shoot using a tripod, but using a gimbal head is a breeze.  I do feel somewhat restricted from my usual handholding.

The bird photos in my previous blogs from Ash Island are taken with Huey. Here are some images from my first outing to Sherwood Forest.



















2 comments:

  1. Well... I am very impressed with the quality of your blog and your pictures!
    Your experience is definitively helping with animal photography and it is a great pleasure to discover your world!
    Congratulations Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou very much Noushka. I enjoyed looking at your website as well.

      Delete